Staff Attorney at Legal Momentum
Legal Momentum, the Women’s Legal Defense and Education Fund, is the nation’s oldest civil rights advocacy organization dedicated to advancing the rights of women and girls. Our targeted litigation, innovative public policy, and education in five areas—workplace equality and economic empowerment; violence against women; fairness in the courts; equality in education; and human trafficking—secure equality and opportunity for women and girls. For further information about our work, please see www.legalmomentum.org.
Legal Momentum seeks a highly motivated attorney with a demonstrated commitment to civil rights and gender equality. The Staff Attorney will work with members of the Legal Department to advance laws and policies that promote expanded protections for victims of gender-based violence and equality in the workplace and schools. This position reports to the Deputy Legal Director and Legal Director. This is a full-time position based in our New York City office.
- Participate in litigation at all levels of state and federal courts and administrative agencies.
- Assist with case intake process.
- Prepare amicus briefs and review briefs that we contribute to or sign-on to as part of a wider advocacy coalition.
- Conduct public policy research and analysis. Draft legislation and prepare legislative testimony.
- Represent Legal Momentum in public speaking and media opportunities.
- Draft articles, blogs, op-eds and other non-legal writings.
- Represent Legal Momentum in coalition activities.
- Such other duties as may arise according to the needs of the organization to further its mission and goals, consistent with the general responsibilities of the position.
- Law degree from an accredited law school. Admission to New York State bar (or immediate eligibility for admission) and admission or eligibility for admission for federal district court(s) required.
- At least 3-5 years of civil rights litigation. Deposition and trial experience required.
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing equality for women and girls and knowledge of women’s rights and other relevant civil rights and human rights laws, including Title VII and Title IX.
- Excellent legal and non-legal writing skills.
- Excellent oral legal advocacy and public speaking skills.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Computer and social media literacy.
- Willingness to travel.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Legal Momentum has a very generous benefits package.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, three references, and a writing sample of no more than 5-10 pages to:
Legal Momentum is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, race, color, religion, national origin, or sexual orientation.